Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bye Bye Hubby...

No, John didn't leave me he left his office in our house and moved to a big businessman office.  It is actually VERY exciting for him to have his first ever out of the house office.  I have to admit it was a little bittersweet for me because a) he most likely won't be home all the time when I get home from work b) our sweet little (well not so little) doodle Stanley won't have a buddy to hang out with during the day anymore. I guess it is time for a second child, I mean dog.  In all reality it is a great opportunity for him because he will have his business space separated from home, and his office is above an architect which could be potential business for him.  His new office is also only 4.5 miles from our house so it is still very easy for him to come home to let the pup out and throw some food in the crock pot for dinner that night.  

Enough about the new office, let me tell you about the old office, now my fun room.  Since I have this need to always have a project on my hands, and our house has been completely remodeled from head to toe including the guts (plumbing, electric, heating and cooling) I've decided that I'm going to make, reuse, or repurpose everything we put in this room.  Let me just say I'm super excited, and have a lot of ideas with not so much time so this will be a work in progress for sure, unlike the rest of our house which was primarily done in 3 months. 

First things first, I had to paint the room.  The room color wasn't bad considering we had just painted it last year, however there were some places we tried touching up, but when we got another gallon of the paint we had used the colors didn't match up quite right.  


See the color wasn't bad, a bit of a grayish blue color.  But the problem came in just below our attic access where we tried to touch up all the ladder marks and foot prints on the wall there.  


Here was the aftermath of trying to do some touchups.  Not pretty at all.  Since I had to repaint the whole room (which is quite small so it really wasn't a big deal) I decided to change it up quite a bit.  I LOVE the color blue so I knew I wanted that involved, and I kind of hate beige or tan because we've lived in a couple of homes the hubby built, and to keep things nice and neutral most all the walls in those houses were beige.  I need more spice in my life than an all beige walls.  My inspiration came from clothing, I really love the combination of a navy button down shirt dress with a camel colored belt around the waist and some awesome camel colored boots to top it off.  I thought an all navy room would be too much so I decided to make the back wall navy, and then to try to avoid beige at all costs I opted for a more goldish color for the other three walls.  I got the navy going and once it dried I loved it, so much so that I wanted to do it all navy, but that wasn't a good idea so I didn't do it.  I got going with the goldish color and immediately didn't like it, but with the hubby's encouragement and because painting is fun to me, I kept going to finish one wall and "give the color a chance"  The verdict, YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!


Next I had to come to the sad realization that something more creamy/ beige would be the best match for the navy blue accent wall.  So very sadly I went through the pile of paint swatches I had hoarded from Lowe's and we decided that the color classy was the one to go with. 



Away with the gold wall and old grayish blue walls and hello classy walls.  When I started painting I still wasn't sold because the trim color and the wall color nearly blended into each other, but as the wall color dried there was definite separation and I started to really like the combination.  



The "beige" color turned out to be more of a creamy color, with a slight yellow tint that comes out when it is compared to the ceiling or trim color.  That was the good, the bad, and the ugly of my painting process for my new craft/project room.   In the end I really like it!   What about you?



1 comment:

  1. Love the navy wall! Can't wait to see all of the fun things you end up putting into this room!

    ReplyDelete